flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: AW: Workers and Speed
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 06:46:23 GMT
That makes me want to ask a potentially important question:  Does this
data need to be bindable in the first place?  Is MXML data binding being
used on the data and/or are any of the properties in the data being
changed and change events are needed?

If not, then even using [Bindable] may not be necessary.

Roughly speaking, if you have:

public class Data
{
  public var field:int;
}

Then accessing the field variable is a simple and very fast memory lookup.

But if you use [Bindable] then accessing the field variable essentially
calls a function to get the value.

function get field():int {
  return _field;
}

And if you use ObjectProxy, then accessing field runs all of this code:

override flash_proxy function getProperty(name:*):*
    {
        // if we have a data proxy for this then
        var result:*;

        if (notifiers[name.toString()])
            return notifiers[name];

        result = _item[name];

        if (result)
        {
            if (_proxyLevel == 0 || ObjectUtil.isSimple(result))
            {
                return result;
            }
            else
            {
                result = object_proxy::getComplexProperty(name, result);
            } // if we are proxying
        }

        return result;
    }

In some cases, it might be faster to convert from data objects that have
[Bindable] to data objects of all vars. YMMV.

HTH,
-Alex