flex-users mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mobile App Development Suggestions
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 00:21:21 GMT

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM, bilbosax <waspence41@comcast.net> wrote:

> So I am about to embark on writing my first ever mobile application using
> AIR.  I have been reading a lot about it, but I am surprised how little
> information I am finding on the best structures to use that are better on
> mobile apps or that users prefer.  My app will basically be a splash screen
> followed by a simple datagrid, and when a user touches on a record, web
> content will be displayed using maps, images, and data.  They will want to
> efficiently remove that data from the screen and select another target.

MobileDataGrid was added recently.  You might want to use that.

> Also, I will need some kind of popout that a user can select filters to
> filter the data.

There is CallOut component that is good for these scenarios.

>   So I have looked at setting up a mobile environment in
> Flash Builder and it looks like you can set it up as a blank, view-based,
> or
> tabbed program.  I wondered if you have found one type of construct to be
> more effective than the other?

For smaller form factors, i.e. phones, view based navigation is better.
For tablets, a more desktop like navigation would just work.  Usage of tabs
is more of a UI/design question.

>   Also, can you combine them?  I mean, can you
> have a view based application that also has tabs at the bottom?

Yes.

> Any advice
> on the best mobile layouts would be appreciated, as well as any pitfalls or
> things that you think I should be aware of as I embark on this journey.
>
> Also, I am having trouble narrowing down the number of columns to show a
> user in the datagrid so that it is all readable.  Any advice on efficiently
> showing tabular data on a mobile device would be helpful.

In my mobile apps (for phones especially) I avoid datagrids completely.
Instead show a list of rows (like cards), each one showing a simple
vertical list of items, instead of columns.  If you separate your Model,
View and Controller properly, you could build a different view based on the
form factor.

Also, remember to reuse code as much as possible between your web, desktop
and mobile apps.  Setting up the core logic in a shareable library project
would be a good idea.  Then you can simply build Web/Desktop/Mobile
projects and use this logic everywhere.

Here is a presentation I did last year that goes through these concepts in
a bit more detail
http://www.slideshare.net/bigosmallm/flex-mobile-apachecon-2015

A sample mobile app that shows a good way to organize your projects:
https://github.com/bigosmallm/TwitterTrends

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Om