flex-users mailing list archives

From Scott Matheson <sc...@matheson.it>
Subject Re: Multithreading
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:44:57 GMT
I think this is more a question of architecture

Can you write simple code that takes a bit of data process this and puts the data back on
the stack, if so you could run say 1400 process (aws or the likes) for 1 min each day

You could also afford to run less efficient code as AS3 on the server

Time is expensive CPU is cheap

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Aug 2016, at 05:54, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Therefore, I assumed that a single threaded process used one virtual core on a CPU.
 Is that
>> incorrect?
>
> Yep.
>
>> Thanks for putting Spark on the map for me, I had never even heard of it,
>> but is it as fast as a C program?
>
> On a single core probably not, but it's much more scalable and could easily finish the
quicker given enough cores/CPU. How many it would need I couldn’t guess at. But I done a
little bit of Apache Spark programming and found it quite fast. On my laptop things like work
out what are the most common words in the entire works of Shakespeare took 10 seconds or so
including read and parsing the text.

> One other option on a single machine for fast number crunching is to use the GPU for
calculations [1], but I’ve not played about with that.