flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Multithreading
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2016 04:05:47 GMT
Justin, your answers are always very insightful.  I appreciate you taking the
time.

I am going to have to do a little reading on what a thread actually is.  I
have a machine with 2 Quad Core Xeons in it, so it has 16 virtual cores.
When I pull up Task Manager and watch my AIR app run, 1 core will be pegged
at 100%, and the other 15 are sleeping doing nothing.  Therefore, I assumed
that a single threaded process used one virtual core on a CPU.  Is that
incorrect?

Thanks for putting Spark on the map for me, I had never even heard of it,
but is it as fast as a C program?  My AIR app takes 2 minutes to process my
data.  I am being optimistic and hoping that I could get it to process in
about a minute in C.  Even if this were the case, there are 1400 markets of
data I would have to process in the United States.  This means that if I
were only able to do one market at a time, it would take 1400 minutes to do
the work, which is 23.3 hours or a full day.  Not good enough.  So I would
either have to scale the work over multiple machines, or I would have to
take better advantage of the threads available on a single machine.  Can
Spark process data as fast as C, or does it just make scaling a job easier?