flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Multithreading
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:00:26 GMT
I want to know a little more about multithreading...sort of.  For those who
have helped me optimize the speed in my latest AIR project, I should should
update you that I want to build a mobile version of the application.  The
problem is that a mobile version that takes 10 minutes to process my data
will not be popular.  So the plan is to do the processing on a server every
night at 3am, and a user will simply download the processed data when the
mobile application opens, and then they can play with the data on their
device.

I am likely to write a simple command line C++ program that gets data out of
a database, processes it, and then writes the data to a database table to be
consumed by mobile devices.  I am very interested in seeing the speed
difference in processing the same data in C++ versus my AIR application.

I currently know nothing about C++, so I don't know if it is like AIR and
natively runs in a single thread, or if it somehow takes advantage of
multiple threads on your computer.  I am assuming that unless you ask it to
work with multiple threads, it is single threaded out of the box.  If this
is the case, it would be more efficient for me if I was able to run multiple
instances of the C++ application side by side so that I could process
several cities of data at the same time.  I was wondering what happens if
you run several instances of a single threaded application at the same time?
Does the OS put each instance in its own thread, or will it run all
instances on the same thread, thus eliminating any speed advantages?