flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Workers and Speed
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2016 22:15:58 GMT
Alex, you truly are a genius.  That is what it turned out to be.  I figured
it out about two hours after my rant.  I had a conditional statement that
was not backwards compatible with the new distance calculation model we
created.  For instance, say I was searching for squirrels in a 1 mile radius
from a target squirrel.  My target squirrel has to be a happy squirrel, but
I don't care if the squirrels within a mile of the target squirrel are
happy.  As I got towards the end of the dataset, I found fewer and fewer
happy squirrels left ahead in the loop, and then realized that I need to
know the distances of the unhappy squirrels behind in the search, and those
were never calculated.  So in the end, if I am planning to only go through
half of the distance searches, I now have to calculate the distance between
every object and not just the ones that meet my conditional criteria.  In
other words, the solution turned out to be slower than just originally
crunching through all the data.  About 5 minutes compared to about 2
minutes.

A quick question about speed.  I am thinking of porting my application to an
iPad since I have never done it before.  If my desktop can do the
calculations in about 2 minutes, how long should I expect an iPad to be able
to do the same work? 5 min, 15 min, an hour?