flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Workers and Speed
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 06:39:42 GMT
HaHa!! This is becoming quite entertaining and FUN!!  By using a parallel
ArrayCollection of just simple objects and then using it's source as the
array that everything is calculated from, we are now down to 2.7 minutes!!
WooHoo!!  So here is the breakdown now:

Total time = 162 sec
ObjectProxy.setProperty = 24 seconds
garbage collection = .07 sec

As you predicted, ObjectProxy.getProperty and garbage collection are
essentially 0.

So inside of all my Loops where I calculate the trig, I update an
arraycollection(containing ObjectProxies) with the new values that I
calculate.  Do you think if I passed this data to a regular array instead,
and then over to the ArrayCollection when the processing was finished that I
may be able to whittle away some of that 24 seconds?

>Alex
>That makes me want to ask a potentially important question:  Does this
>data need to be bindable in the first place?

Alex, I certainly think that it does.  I am using an MXML itemrenderer on
the arraycollection, and the itemrenderer was sending out silent errors that
it was not able to bind to the data it was given.  So I needed it to be
bindable.  The data is also displayed in a datagrid, which needs it to be
bindable.  But using Justin's suggestion of just populating a regular array
with non-objectproxy data in it to do the calculations knocked the time down
to nearly 2.7 minutes.  I could not be more pleased by the strides we have
all accomplished, and by all that I have learned about what goes on inside
of components by profiling.