flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Question about Components, Garbage Collection, an CreationComplete
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2016 03:55:05 GMT
So I was wondering if there was a way by eliminating all references and using
garbage collection, that you could garbage collect a custom Component?

I have written a program with three major MXML files: The main application,
a database component, and an analysis component to display the data.  I
display these using three states in the application.  I use a database
button and analysis button in the main application to switch to the other
two states states, thus showing each of the components, and an exit button
in each component sends you back to the main application.  The problem is
that if I switch from the analysis component, back to the database component
to load more data, and then back to the analysis component, the creation
complete for the analysis has already fired and does not fire again when I
come back to the component.  I wondered if there was a way to reinstantiate
the components somehow so that they can collect the data that they need to
when you enter their respective states.

My first thought was to try and garbage collect the component, and then
perhaps it would be recreated when I came back to its state.  That seems
over complicated. Surely there is a more straight forward approach that I am
not familiar with?