flex-users mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex contracts from home ?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 09:13:30 GMT
I think FlexJS is a very good option going forward.

In fact I’m betting pretty heavily on that. I’m starting full time development (two developers)
of a large-scale FlexJS app starting next week.

Harbs

On Jun 21, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Scott Matheson <scott@matheson.it> wrote:

> Hi
>   I still have my own flex app growing, we are in 400 schools with 10000 students
>
> However moving on, in the next year or so I have to take the pain and convert  not because
flex is bad because of Google, Firefox etc all those flash (not flex) haters, will just make
tuning flash Tigard for my customers

> Adobe made a big mistake not making flash open source, water under the bridge to late
now

> My only hope to stay in flex land is the flexJS project
>
> If you want flash environment type work, looks at some of the Java tools
>
> So this will have an impact on jobs, saying that you can make good money working with
cobol PL1, Fortean, VB etc there is always a demand for experience, the last man standing
wins

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 20 Jun 2016, at 22:29, Trevor Holman <trevor@cqbookstore.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. Very interesting. I really like the AIR application work and I’ve seen
some nice useful full blown applications. I don’t think I would ever be able to code for
anyone else I would consider doing my own application using AIR if that’s a viable route
to go?

>> Trevor
>>

>>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 4:24 PM, Philip Keiter <philip.keiter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Desktop AIR apps for Windows and OSX seem to be the most reluctant or
>>> challenging to phase out. The web apps are easier to replace than the AIR
>>> apps and there is a greater urge to. It is following the pattern of all
>>> legacy code. Large institutions with large B2B apps are going to hold onto
>>> it for a long time to come. Small startups will do some fresh work with it
>>> for the OS cross-compatibility. Other businesses are still in process of
>>> phasing it out and may be free in a few more years. If you are very senior
>>> you may want to stick with it for legacy code pay. If not very senior, the
>>> competition will be too tough to win the legacy coding jobs. Working from
>>> home is still possible but rare. It is largely dependent on the nature of
>>> the business now. Government and finance never allow it, period. While less
>>> restrictive business are more open to it because they are desperate. But
>>> the less restrictive businesses tend to have an easier time moving on to
>>> new code, so there are not so many of them. Overall right now there are
>>> both relatively few jobs and relatively few skilled candidates applying. As
>>> Jeffry mentioned, it is mostly maintenance of apps that couldn't for
>>> whatever reason make the move away from the Flash Platform. So basically a
>>> job opens up each time a Flex developer gets a new job doing something new,
>>> leaving the Flex job open behind him. There are exceptions to everything of
>>> course.

In