flex-users mailing list archives

From Gary Yang <flashflex...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attention: Alex Harui. Acquire Flash Player
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:10:27 GMT
html5 + JS can do more and more, but because of the compatibility issue,
Flash/Air will always have huge advantages only/when working on complex UI,
so the business model needs to change, Flash/Air should focus on complex UI
which delivers more value and productivity for professional need more than
just submitting forms or view videos.

html5 + JS is taking over only the lower end applications, which is
majority in quantity, advertise, submitting orders or controlling video
plays, but the high end value is still untouched, which is for
professionals to be productive!

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Hans Nuecke <hnuecke@vservu.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> not answer the fundamental question - why bother?  Yes… there are number
>>> of
>>> Flash applications which some company rely on… but no one can argue that
>>> there are enough of these to justify keeping flash around.  Sorry… if
>>> your
>>> business relies on flash… you will get burn.  Better accept it ASAP and
>>> develop plan B.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Me.Com
>>> Sent with Airmail
>>>
>>> On August 21, 2015 at 19:36:05 , core000 (kaushal.shah05@gmail.com)
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alex, let me first say that I commend you and your team on the effort on
>>> maturing the FlexJS platform. However, from watching the videos from you
>>> and your team on the overview and progress of Flex JS, the tone sounds
>>> one
>>> of defeat. e.g. "transitioning to Flex JS will not convert all the AS
>>> code, but atleast you do not have to do everything from scratch in JS".As
>>> the mention of Flash on the Adobe site gets more rare each time I visit,
>>> don't see where Flash plays in Adobe's strategy anymore. Suggestion 1:
>>> Why not convince Adobe to make the Flash Player open source and hand it
>>> over
>>> to Apache? I'm not sure why they would want to hold on to it. I own a
>>> tech
>>> firm in NYC and all of my platforms that I build for my clients are in
>>> Flex,
>>> which they are thrilled about. Having to wait for Flex JS to mature and
>>> semi-learning a new language does not seem the best way forward.
>>> Acquiring
>>> Flash Player will ensure that the plugin consistently is patched (like
>>> OSX,
>>> Windows,IOS, Android) and let us continue to mature our current
>>> apps.Suggestion 2: From the time in 2011 when Steve Jobs attacked Flash,
>>> it's been down hill for the Flex platform. Recently, you have Facebook
>>> asking for the death to Flash. Why would they want something that their
>>> platform does not even depend on to be decommissioned? And Kevin Lynch,
>>> the father of Flash from Macromedia, now works at Apple. I sense
>>> something
>>> fishy is going on. Also, my team and I have also researched HTML5/JS.
>>> Besides a few good libraries like D3.js, I'm not sure what the hype is
>>> about. Most of the features are not available in all browsers, JS
>>> libraries pop up and die out, and the look and feel (e.g. jQuery) is
>>> outdated. It feels like the 90's all over again. We must put effort in
>>> socializing Flash/Flex benefits again. Perhaps having Flex vs. HTML5
>>> sites
>>> up to showcase how far ahead of the game Flex is.I'm confident that many
>>> in
>>> the Flex community are concerned that any day Flash Player will be
>>> decommissioned and that will put most of us (many in huge corporations)
>>> a
>>> bind. Adobe seems to be a company that can buckle under pressure.What are