flex-users mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NPAPI deprecation
Date Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:37:10 GMT
On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Evyatar Ben Halevi-Arbib <
evyatarbh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I mentioned in a different thread, I encountered this message -
> https://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation
>
> The thing that worries me the most about that post is the fact it doesn't
> mention PPAPI as an alternative to NPAPI.
> Instead it says things like -
> "In general, the core standards-based web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS) are
> suitable for most client software development"
>
> Am I missing something here? Was NPAPI used for anything other than Flash
> based content display?

NPAPI was used for all sorts of plugins: Silverlight, Java, Unity,
Quicktime, etc.

As far as Flash goes, it still works with Chrome (on all OSes including
Linux) via Google's new PPAPI interface.  There is a whole lot of
information available on the Chromium website:

https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/pepper-plugin-implementation

Thanks,
Om