flex-users mailing list archives

From shaack <sha...@gmail.com>
Subject Flex Client-Server Messaging Howto, BlazeDS, GraniteDS, Websockets
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:29:25 GMT
What we just need for our project is a stable and easy to use messaging
system for Flex clients. Being in the beginning of the project the decision
should be also future oriented, which means it should be a technology which
will be supported also in a few years, and it would be great if it could
base on a standard technology which could also be used from native clients
on iOS or Android.

In my research I found the two main more or less proprietary server
libraries, GraniteDS and BlazeDS.

# BlazeDS

There seems to be no current release version of BlazeDS, no public version
in maven repositories of BlazeDS 4 and I found information about a memory
leak existing till 4 years:
http://in-finite.me/fixing-blazeds-polling-amf-memory-leak/. This makes me
wonder, if it is just pushed to Apache to have there its occupational
pension.

# GraniteDS

GraniteDS seems to be in active development and it supports websockets,
which is great. But for our needs it seems to be taking a sledgehammer to
crack a nut, because we just need some messaging. In addition GraniteDS
seems to support Flex, native Android but not iOS.

# What else

For me the best solution would be a small standard solution which works on
all client technologies, like just websockets with STOMP and JSON or AMF. I
found an extraction of the GraniteDS Websocket Client
https://github.com/graniteds/flex-websocket-client, but without
documentation, no samples, no protocol on top of websockets. A STOMP client
"as3-stomp" https://code.google.com/p/as3-stomp/, last release from June
2008.

# And now?

We got stuck, don't know which way to go. Does anyone here have some
experience in using websocket messaging in Flex? It would be great, if you
could help us in finding a decision.