flex-users mailing list archives

From Sascha Ahrend <sahr...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: SVG/SWF to FXG Converter (Win, Mac, Eclipse)
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:45:26 GMT
Hello Om,

with Harbs’ help I was able to dig into the case.

What I found is that the AI svg export (4.3 MB) is actually being converted, although it takes
while to see the fxg result (3.3 MB).
I tested it on a Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and the conversion inside the standalone app
took approx. 3.5 minutes at >95% CPU usage.
Then i performed the same test inside VirtualBox running Vista where it took even 5.5 minutes
with the same CPU consumption.

The reason why the app remains unresponsive while converting on Windows is that it uses the
internal Webkit XSL processor for SVG conversion, while on Mac it calls a native process that
runs in the background.
In task manager you can see the process running quite busy. After finishing the app becomes
responsive again.
(On Mac the fxg file appears immediately, but it takes some time before it gets its content.)
Unfortunately both processors (which are based on libxslt) do not return any progress data,
so I do not see a chance to add a progress bar to the app.

You can find the fxg output (77750 lines) here: http://www.realcreation.com/S2F_Converter/testfxg/testfxg.fxg

It looks like this (downscaled to 8.8%, please allow a moment to load): http://www.realcreation.com/S2F_Converter/testfxg/testfxg.html

Comparing it at a glance with the original file ( http://mercury.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ios8_vector_zoom_out.png
<http://mercury.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ios8_vector_zoom_out.png> ) i can see
the following differences:

- Bitmap images aren’t converted (that’s an actual limitation, although I will have a
look to add external images to the conversion method).
- Some masks seem missing or misplaced. (I will investigate.)
- The SVG uses multiline text, while the FXG only single line (I will check the specs.)

I hope this helps.

Rgds,

Sascha