flex-users mailing list archives

From DavidM <dmos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parsley 3.0, Data Binding and IOC
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 01:00:55 GMT

Thanks Ronny, though I really like data binding, and Parsley was very well
designed.

My reason for Databinding is that I don't like my models, (or any other
non-view objects) to hold any references to views in any framework I use.

My general reason is that I think that it breaks MVVM pattern.

My specific reason wrt to Flex is that I found that if your models hold
references to views, then you end up having to create all of the views at
startup, in order to guarantee that they exist before referencing them ie: a
non-deterministic lifecycle problem. This delays startup significantly.

If models don't have references to views, then views can start when needed,
reducing startup time.
It's fine for views to reference other views or non-view objects of course.

I think of the view as the top layer, referencing layers below it, but not
being referenced by those layers.

Specifically I regard any mxml file that has a component with an ID which is
referenced by a non-mxml file as a 'bad smell' or anti-pattern.

Caveat: I've been out of the Flex world for 3 years, so startup time may be
a non-issue with current sdks and players.

So, back to the question of Parsley, any takers?

David