flex-users mailing list archives

From DavidM <dmos...@gmail.com>
Subject State of Flex?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 23:16:38 GMT

Hello fellow Flex users, I have a few questions about the state of Flex and
Flash browser plugins.

Background:

We have a flex application in production since 2011 - running perfectly
fine, without any problems.
It is a desktop trading application, and is never used on mobile or tablet
platforms.
It requires a DataGrid with both fixed headers and columns.
It is used by Fortune 100 customers, a significant number of whom seem to
still be using IE8.

So, over the past 3 years we've looked at migrating off Flex, to various
platforms, such as the ZK framework, Webix, jQuery, etc.

However, these frameworks all either look terrible in comparison to Flex,
and/or have significant cross-browser problems (especially with IE 8).

HTML5 frameworks are clearly out of the question for us unless we want to
spend forever messing around with browser shims, etc.

So, I'm thinking we should just continue with Flex, and add new
functionality to the existing applications.

My questions are these:

1) Are folks seeing any situations where corporations are disabling Flash
plugins (e.g. out of concern for security issues) ?

2) We have read that certain browsers (e.g. IE 10) have prevented users from
upgrading Flash. Is this correct? If so, what is the minimal recommended
Flash Player version (our last release targeted 11.3) ?

3) Adobe Flash Builder, using the current SDK version 4.13, doesn't seem to
allow targeting players below 14.0. What would be the recommended player
version such that our application would work in the event that users cannot
upgrade their players in IE 10 (or other browsers).

4) What would be the recommended SDK version in relation to question 3
above?

5) Are we insane to be thinking about building a new application in Flex
today?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

David