flex-users mailing list archives

From modjkl...@comcast.net
Subject How to download video file from application server and auto-run it in Spark VideoPlayer?
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2014 23:48:57 GMT
Hi, I have a desktop app using Flex SDK 4.12 and Java for middle tier.

I'd like to store my .mp4 video files on my application server instead of my public website
so that only users of my Flex app may access them.

I've no experience with playing video in Flex, but the spark VideoPlayer seems pretty simple.
It seems to work fine when I specify a source that points to a video on a public website,
such as

<s:VideoPlayer autoPlay="true" source="https://www.mydomain.com/myVideoFile.mp4" />

However, I'd like to place my video files on my application server then use a Java servlett
to download it when the user selects an item in a drop down list (which presents a list of
video files).

Is it possible to download files like this somehow, and have the VideoPlayer access them from
the download folder? I'm currently doing this with my PDF files, and hoped I could similarly
with video files. The PDF files simply download to the Download folder (on a Mac at least),
then the user must open them manually.

However, I'd prefer the video download to auto-run inside VideoPlayer so the whole selection
process appears seamless to the user (as if I were using source="..." as shown above). I wonder
if anyone has done something like this before? Thanks in advance for any comments or example
code.