flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Using Adobe Scout to locate memory leak
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 16:40:15 GMT
I have not used Scout much, and never used Scout for determining _why_
something is stuck in memory. It isn't clear to me that it is designed to
do that.  The UI and examples seem to be oriented towards showing you
_what_ is stuck, and can show you the stack at the time of allocation, but
doesn't appear to show you back-references like Flash Builder.

Is Explorer a display object?  If so, all of its children are pointing to
it, and so are its parents.  If one child is stuck in memory because it
added an event listener to the stage or was the last widget with focus,
Explorer will be stuck as well.  Or did you remove all children?

Is Explorer created from an MXML tag?  If so, the containing MXML file
likely has references to Explorer as well.

Trying to comment out large sections of your app to reduce allocations so
Flash Builder can show you back-references may still be worth considering.

HTH,
-Alex