flex-users mailing list archives

From Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>
Subject RE: Design tools for creating Flex 4 skins
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 16:50:37 GMT
perhaps then we should work on an FXG exporter for Inkscape that does the job properly?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sascha Ahrend [mailto:sahrend@icloud.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 4:06 AM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Design tools for creating Flex 4 skins

Sorry, but I don't think we should replace FXG as main skinning language.

Nothing against extending SVG support, but FXG is much nearer to Actionscript.

Also the SVG files created by most Illustration Software have to be cleaned up in the same
manner as you say about FXG.

E.g. if you draw an object and reposition it, Inkscape (i guess Illustrator, too) just adds
a transform attribute to the path instead of updating the path itself.
(You may find the object in a completely different position than expected in the SVG output,
even when optimized).

I got the best results with a tiny piece of software for Xcode/Quartz developers: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ivinci-express/id607900811?mt=12
Purely SVG based, it is really WYSIWYG - even Illustrator and Inkscape files are cleaned up
thoroughly (text is rendered as well).

I then built a SVG -> FXG converter for Mac OS (based on an xslt-Script i slightly modified):

http://www.realcreation.com/SVGtoFXG.dmg

Used with a 'clean' SVG it virtually gives me everything as 'clean' FXG (no gradients yet,
but that's easy to add manually or with e.g. 7jigen fxgeditor. I may update.)

(In addition, I wouldn't get too irritated about Adobe having abandoned FXG, as they also
donated the FXG standard to Apache before, so they'd always be bound to changes implemented
by Apache. Same reason they gave up FB Design View.)

Rgds.,

Sascha