flex-users mailing list archives

From pnayak <nayak_purushot...@yahoo.com>
Subject Improving mouse event response
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 03:31:37 GMT
Hi All,

I have a custom container component let me call it UIPanel that has several
child components. In some cases there are many within several Group
containers/Viewstacks etc. which I have to use to  attain complex layout and
visuals. Some UIPanels are simple  without much content in them.

There are several instances of the UIPanel on the screen and whenever the
user clicks on anyone of them it has to be the top most one. I achieve this
by using the setElementIndex to numElements - 1 for the owner of the
component which is a Group. (IVisualElementContainer.setElementIndex(this,
numElements - 1)).

I've noticed that whenever a UIPanel is complex with several children like I
mentioned above, clicking on it brings it to the  top but there is a delay
of > 1 second. Where as in other cases it is instantaneous.

I assume this is because the mouse event has to traverse all the children
before it gets to the UIPanel. I'm thinking there has to be a way to improve
this. The only components interested in the event is the UIPanel and the top
most child inside the UIPanel which is a DataGrid.

Is there any other way to improve the response? Is there a container that is
more lightweight that Group that will be faster but provides layout
functionality? If anyone can provide some inputs will be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
PN