flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Coding a better flex mobile app
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 06:38:53 GMT
Well, yes, I would guess it uses more CPU just because some OS event is firing more often and
runs some code in the player. but if there isn't work happening in the ENTER_FRAME and related
events the difference could be hard to detect.  But folks have reported in the past that a
high frame rate makes their app appear to have a non-zero CPU utilization in the Windows Program
Manager.  Although that was probably years ago and CPUs are much faster now.

-Alex
From: jude [flexcapacitor@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:52 PM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Coding a better flex mobile app

Does it use more CPU if you're not running any code? I mean a higher frame
rate updates the display in the case of 30 fps to 60 fps 30 more times than
normal but if the view doesn't change and no code needs to execute how much
is really being used? Because, Flex has a invalidation for specific regions
that triggers a redraw for certain areas only when they change and the
Flash Player uses the display list to indicate to the GPU or software
renderer to indicate what areas need to be redrawn.

It would be a good test to see how much battery is drained in a blank or
simple app running at 30 FPS where there are no visual updates and then
again at 60FPS. Then another test where there is a visual change, say a
ball animating around the screen and measure the battery drain again in
both 30/ 60 FPS.