flex-users mailing list archives

From Adam Malejko <a...@malejko.com>
Subject IDE upgrade options
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:52:41 GMT
Long time Flex developer and lurker; never posted - never needed to.

I finally got the go-ahead to upgrade to Flash Builder 4.7 premium a little
while ago, along with upgrading to the latest Apache Flex SDK. Little did I
know that the Flash Builder upgrade was not technically possible. I have v3
and v4.5 premium keys (yet use v4.6), but no v4 premium or v4.5 standard
key which would technically work to upgrade from.

So after chatting and talking to Adobe representatives, I believe it's time
to look at my options.

1) Does anyone know how I can possibly upgrade to v4.7 without having to
buy the full $699 v4.7 license? $49 to upgrade from v4 sounds great! Even
$499 isn't terrible, but after sticking with them for this long I am being
forced to buy the full version for $699? Really? In the buying guide [1],
you see that "n/a" in there? That's me. SOL.

2) I've used Flash Builder for many years now and haven't really looked at
the other options until recently. How do IntelliJ IDEA, FDT and
Flashdevelop compare from a developers perspective? I'm only starting to
write mobile apps which triggered the update from the Adobe SDK.

3) Should I just install the Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder 4.6? Will
that work for mobile apps?

[1]
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flash-builder/buying-guide.displayTab2.html

-Adam