flex-users mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coding a better flex mobile app
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 08:20:49 GMT
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Gabriele Campi [Media Logic] <
gabriele.campi@medialogic.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> last year I created a mobile app for IOS and Android using Apache Flex.
>
> My app uses a SQLite database and makes large use of graphics and
> bitmapdata (being a design app that manipulates images) and I encountered
> many problems with general performances and memory management. My app now
> is heavy and slow.
> It was my first project with Flex and Air technologies, and now it's time
> to clear, improve, rewrite the code. What would be the better approach?
>
> Just to test performances I created an Hello World app in Objective-C, AS3
> and Flex, just a pair of views with a few buttons, and the Flex one was
> dramatically slow and heavy compared with the others.
>
> There are many opportunity out there (MVC frameworks like Robotlegs and
> PureMVC, or pure AS3 solutions like MadComponents), could they be a viable
> alternative?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gabriele

Gabriele,

It is possible to create well performing mobile apps using Apache Flex.
Here are a few examples: http://flex.apache.org/community-showcase.html

Use the profiler and Adobe Scout to ensure that your code does not have
significant performance bottlenecks.

If you have more details on the performance problems you see, we might be
able to help you out.

Thanks,
Om