flex-users mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: IDE upgrade options
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:21:54 GMT

On 4/28/2014 8:52 PM, Adam Malejko wrote:
> Long time Flex developer and lurker; never posted - never needed to.
>
> I finally got the go-ahead to upgrade to Flash Builder 4.7 premium a little
> while ago, along with upgrading to the latest Apache Flex SDK. Little did I
> know that the Flash Builder upgrade was not technically possible. I have v3
> and v4.5 premium keys (yet use v4.6), but no v4 premium or v4.5 standard
> key which would technically work to upgrade from.
>
> So after chatting and talking to Adobe representatives, I believe it's time
> to look at my options.
>
> 1) Does anyone know how I can possibly upgrade to v4.7 without having to
> buy the full $699 v4.7 license? $49 to upgrade from v4 sounds great! Even
> $499 isn't terrible, but after sticking with them for this long I am being
> forced to buy the full version for $699? Really? In the buying guide [1],
> you see that "n/a" in there? That's me. SOL.

  Flash Builder 4.7 used to be a complimentary upgrade from 4.5/4.6 (
http://www.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/flashbuilder47_upgade.html
) but it looks like they discontinued that.  How odd.

  I bet that is the reason you can't upgrade from 4.5 premium to 4.7
premium on their web site.  They discontinued one thing w/o adding an
option.

> 2) I've used Flash Builder for many years now and haven't really looked at
> the other options until recently. How do IntelliJ IDEA, FDT and
> Flashdevelop compare from a developers perspective? I'm only starting to
> write mobile apps which triggered the update from the Adobe SDK.

I love IntelliJ.  Although, I have never used it for Flex/Flash. But, it
is great for HTML stuff and for other stuff.

> 3) Should I just install the Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder 4.6? Will
> that work for mobile apps?
  I have used Apache Flex w/ Flash Builder w/o issues.  It hink there
was a minor issue fixed in 4.7 that had to do with files moving from
html-template to bin-debug.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur