flex-users mailing list archives

From borekb <bor...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: IDE upgrade options
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 21:43:20 GMT
I've been a long-time FB user and currently switched to IDEA. Here are my
opinions after about two months with the IDE:

* The nicest thing about IDEA is how well it understands the actual code. FB
was not too bad in this regards but IDEA can take you from an interface to
all the implementations in one click, suggests class names even in ASDoc
comments, can draw quick UML diagrams on demand etc. All very useful for
large projects.

* IDEA indexes everything and is therefore very, very fast. Event full text
searches seem to use indexes, the speed is quite unrivaled.

* I don't quite like the general usability of the IDE compared to Eclipse /
FB. The look is a bit weird, Eclipse has better windows / panels management,
more consistent UI in many places and IDEA made some very weird design
decisions in the past that I don't quite understand - for instance, there is
no Problems View so you have to hunt for different problems in different
places. Also, various code tooltips showing you a doc preview or method
signature are implemented in a weird way and this is something that has
annoyed me quite a bit.

* My current project doesn't use MXML but the previous one did and I
remember that I didn't like the editing experience very much. Writing
ActionScript code is fortunately better - I find the editor itself
(disregarding code intelligence) still slightly worse than what is in
Eclipse but it's quite OK.

* Unfortunately, IDEA renders ASDoc comments quite terribly. It doesn't
understand some HTML tags, will not show inherited docs by default, wraps
lines at strange places so the output is not a pleasure to read etc. Again,
an annoyance for day-to-day work.

* JetBrains has an interesting approach to developing their IDEs - they push
out new features like crazy but will not usually want to slow down a bit to
fix some deeper issues. Plus I could probably report a bug every 2-3 hours I
spend with IDEA which is an enormously high rate compared to the other IDEs.
(Note, though, that I see as "bugs" even relatively minor things; the main
workflow works fine, it's just that the product is much less polished than
what I got used to with other IDEs.)

Generally, despite some annoyances, I think that IDEA is a very good tool
for Flex development and would buy it again.

Borek