flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Coding a better flex mobile app
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 14:50:22 GMT
It will be interesting to see if FlexJS on mobile is faster.  Peter is working on a mobile
app right now.

-Alex
From: After24 [vincent@after24.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:12 AM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Coding a better flex mobile app

Hello,

>From my personal experience, it's not possible to get a super fluid app
using flex mobile (especially on mid range phones and tablets). I think this
perception is mainly due to the list component which never reaches 50/60 fps
even when its itemRender is well optimized.

I know that this need of smoothness is very subjective, but for me it’s
essential and greatly improves the user experience and the pleasure to use
an app.
I understand that the flex framework wasn’t originally designed to run on
mobile devices and that optimizations are limited because of the
architecture of the framework (14 000 lines of codes for UIComponent for
example). I’m absolutely not complaining about it and the situation is going
better and better with new generations of mobile devices.

But for now I’m forced to choose other solutions to get a fluid mobile app,
to be specific I use :

- Starling
- Feather UI
- Robotleg
- AS3 signal

I’m very happy with the result but frankly, the choice between this stack
and flex will be a no brainer if flex was able to perform as well on mobile.
This is the trap with flex, it’s so good and easy to develop with it that
others solutions, even if they works well, are very far from approaching the
ease of working with flex :-)

One more time, it’s not a criticism, I’m absolutely not complaining, it’s
just my personal opinion about flex on mobile.