flex-users mailing list archives

From Maurice Amsellem <maurice.amsel...@systar.com>
Subject RE: No Prompt in TextInput when layoutDirection set to RTL (Mobile)
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:52:25 GMT
Hi Ori, after investigating a little, it seems that RTL is not supported in Flex mobile apps:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/WS19f279b149e7481c698e85712b3011fe73-7fff.html#WS19f279b149e7481c7c94ce7c12b30152f48-7ffc
Specs:  http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/wiki/Mobile%20Text%20Components
 >http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS02f7d8d4857b1677-165a04e1126951a2d98-7ffe.html

>http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS02f7d8d4857b1677-165a04e1126951a2d98-7ffd.html

This is because for performance reasons, mobile apps use TextField and subclasses, which do
not support bidi, wherease FTE/TFL does.

However, doing some more tests shows that RTL alphabets (Arabic or Hebrew) can actually be
displayed, but RTL layout is not supported.

This is to say that it's not just a problem with TextInput prompt text. It's the whole thing
that is not working.

Do you get the same behavior in your app?

That being said, I think RTL support in mobile apps could be fixed, but it requires some work.

You could open a "New feature" JIRA on that (Support for RTL layout in mobile app) and vote
on it.

Maurice