flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Printing at a set DPI
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 00:06:22 GMT

On 2/2/14 2:07 PM, "jude" <flexcapacitor@gmail.com> wrote:

>So you're saying if I get a page size that is more than 72x8.5 by 72x11
>then I could be printing at a higher DPI?

Yes, that's my understanding, but I could certainly be wrong.

>And you're saying the page size
>that's returned may not exactly be 72x8.5 or 300x8.5?
>I'm guessing that
>would be because of the margins and options the user chosen in the print
>dialog. I'll have to check.
That would be my guess as well.

>But that means by the time the user finally presses the print button on
>the
>OS print dialog the DPI is set in stone.
That's my understanding as well, because I think you get to choose the DPI
in the print dialog via some sort of combination of page setup and printer
settings in the OS.

>That's when we get to add and
>scale the display objects we want to print. It sounds like then if I scale
>the display object after getting the page size information it won't change
>the DPI of the actual printout but will give me enough information to know
>what it is.
>
>The way I've been testing this is by choosing the Open as PDF option in
>the
>print dialog but I think I'll have to do some print outs.
What are you seeing for page sizes when PDF printing?  Also, it may matter
if you are doing printAsBitmap or not.  If you don't choose printAsBitmap,
then I think the player will try to re-draw everything at the print
driver's DPI.

>Do you know why certain things like Button would not look correctly in the
>printout? It looks like the button was vectorized (actual graphics data or
>commands were used) but not all of them. for example, the button has a
>thicker border than normal and it's label is text selectable but the
>button background is missing. in the PDF the button scales up as a vector
>would. does ui component bitmap capture highlight have anything to do with
>it?
On a printout the label is text selectable?  Or in a PDF?  Maybe the
player doesn't know how to print gradients in a way that PDF can
understand.  I think border thickness can be affected by destination DPI
and how antialiasing and other colors gets computed.  I thought we did see
artifacts like that on screen when cacheAsBitmap is on.

-Alex