flex-users mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing "WindowedApplication"
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 01:44:57 GMT
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM, bgoldnyxnet <BarryDGold@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> My top-level mxml file looks like this:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <s:WindowedApplication xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
>        xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
>        xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
>        xmlns:loc="location.*"
>        xmlns:ch="choices.*"
>        xmlns:step="script_step.*"
>        pageTitle="Gasper Heights"
>        height="600"
>        weight="800"
>        backgroundColor="#FFFFFF">
> </s:WindowedApplication>
>
> When I go to compile it, I get the error message:
> compile:
>     [mxmlc] Loading configuration file
> C:\barry\bin\flex\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\flex-config.xml
>     [mxmlc] C:\dn\inprogress\GHen\flex\GHen\src\GHen.mxml: Error: Unable to
> locate specified base class 'spark.components.WindowedApplication' for
> component class 'GHen'.
>     [mxmlc]
>
> What's up with that?  When I look in the API reference,
> spark.components.WindowedApplication is there.
>
> Do I need to change my build file to use amxmlc instead of mxmlc?

Looks like you are loading flex-config.xml.  For an AIR app, you need to
use the air-config.xml.  With mxmlc you can use the configname="air"
option.

> Perhaps more generally, is there a reason to use AIR and/or a reason _not_
> to use AIR?  If I have a .swf file on my disk and double-click it, the
> Windows Shell opens it in my brower-of-choice, so I don't see exactly what
> AIR is for. Or, contrariwise, any disadvantage to building the application
> for AIR (at least for debugging).
>
> Comments?

AIR runtime allows you to build desktop apps (and mobile apps targetted
towards iOS, Android and Blackberry)  If you want to have file system
access, SQLLite, etc.  building an AIR app is the way to go.

Think of AIR as an extremely liberal wrapper around a swf file that allows
you to do a lot of things.  Whereas a browser is a restrictive wrapper
around a swf file.  Which one you chose depends on your needs.

Om