flex-users mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple way to parse I18N dates?
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 17:29:27 GMT
I don't remember a discussion about this, but it could be I was not paying attention.

In my case, I have the luxury of knowing what the locale is supposed to be. Of course there
are an incredible number of variables to deal with... :-(

Using Java sounds like an interesting approach. I'll have to look into that...

On Feb 2, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Paul Hastings wrote:

> On 2/2/2014 4:53 PM, Harbs wrote:
>> I just looked at DateField.stringToDate().
>>
>> It looks like it only supports "M", "D" and "Y". That means it does not support weekdays
or any time formatters.

>> I guess I'm going to have to roll my own function´┐Ż
>

> parsing dates is another kind of "hell" i18n developers can fall into. if this is coming
from a server might be easiest to use java (icu4j) to do the parsing & pass java epoch
offsets back to the flex app to format based on user locale. letting folks enter dates arbitrarily
is a tough nut to crack after the fact, especially lacking info about that user's locale.