flex-users mailing list archives

From modjkl...@comcast.net
Subject Re: Apache Flex Book Topic Wish List
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:53:11 GMT
This is great news. Would love to buy a copy of the book. My comments:

1. Favorite IDE=FlashBuilder
2. Integration with BlazeDS. This was a lifesaver for me. If I recall
correctly, Sencha charges a lot of money to use BlazeDS if you're a single
developer, even though it's open source. So that's a big plus for Flex.
3. Mobile development. Bring desktop Flex users into their first mobile
development.
4. Example of setting up at least one general-purpose MVC framework.
5. Advanced Spark datagrid features not covered in other books. The
datagrid is one of the most popular components. Even the more obscure
features would find an audience.
6. I struggled for a long time to figure out how to pass variables between
custom components.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Joseph Balderson" <news@joeflash.ca>
To: users@flex.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:54:37 PM
Subject: Apache Flex Book Topic Wish List

I'm starting this thread so people can list their "wish list" items for the
upcoming Apache Flex book. The other thread is specifically for discussion on
the status of the possible O'Reilly book.

This book may not be an O'Reilly book (we'll see), but I'll definitely be
writing an Apache Flex book of some sort for one of the tech major publishing
houses this year. I'm modelling the book on the "Programming Adobe Flex" series
of books by O'Reilly, so if you have the Flex 3 or 4 one, that's the template,
with a few differences in topic coverage.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there will be an emphasis on the Spark
portion of the framework, and what's been updated since Adobe Flex 4.6, i.e.
emphasis on the Apache side of Flex, rather than going over everything,
considering the wealth of information already published on Flex 3 and 4.
Although there will be a rudimentary overall coverage of things, so this won't
be an "upgrade" book. There will be a few advanced nuggets tucked in here and
there to keep it interesting, but for the most part it will be a
beginner-to-intermediate book. There will be some coverage of IDEs (so pls tell
me what your fav IDEs are) and plugin/desktop/mobile deployment strategies (i.e.
Flash & AIR), but we won't be getting into exotics like HaXe or HFCD or Alchemy,
or advanced topics like Ant and Maven integration. Space will probably rule out
getting into 3rd party MVC frameworks, which might be a blessing in disguise
considering how many have been orphaned in the last few years (I'll leave that
topic to blog posts). As far as FlexJS goes, it's still very early days, and
things could change from now till publication, so there probably won't be much
about it other than to talk about it in the introduction. When FlexJS is in
Alpha, it will probably warrant its own micro-book.

For future reference, wish list ideas on "what I had to learn the hard way when
learning Flex" is more in line with topics to be found in this book. Very
specific applications such as printing from flex, would be better suited to a
cookbook-style book, which this isn't. But list them anyways at the bottom of
your wish list separately, and I'll see what I can do with the space available.

Thanks all,

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book