flex-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Balderson <n...@joeflash.ca>
Subject Re: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:24:50 GMT
Thanks for the testimonial, Peter. It was a great pleasure working with you and
the others on the Wrox book back in '09.

I'm not looking for writing partners on the upcoming Flex book at the moment,
but we'll see how it goes. I did need a tech editor, but the position has been
filled by Justin Mclean.

Do keep posting your suggestions to the "Apache Flex Book Topic Wish List"
thread though, that would be appreciated. See start of the thread for details.

I'll keep everyone updated when I hear back from O'Reilly.

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book

Peter Ent wrote:
> To anyone who is interested in working on this project with Joseph: I
> worked with him a few years ago on the WROX Press book, "Adobe Flex 3",
> with a number of other authors. Joseph is a really good project leader and
> helped guide me through the process and help me shape the chapters I wrote.
>
> I think Flex is doing really well, especially given the number of
> downloads it gets with each release. It is surprising that it gets panned
> sometimes as being 'dead' or going away considering all of the activity.
> The focus on the mobile platform is so strong at the moment so I hope that
> is a major element in the book.
>
> I don't have time to participate on the book project due to personal
> commitments, but I think anyone who does participate will enjoy the
> process.
>
> Best,
> Peter Ent
> Adobe Systems
>
> On 1/23/14 9:13 AM, "John Gardiner" <jwegardiner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> An Apache Flex book will be a great statement of intent for the future of
>> the technology. I hope this can be realised.
>>
>> My own experience is that Apache Flex is being re-adopted in a number of
>> significant domains, especially when used in conjunction with Adobe Air.
>> However, as I am sure others here have experienced, the quantity of stale
>> information on the web (broken links to blogs, wikis, examples, libraries,
>> etc.) is incredibly frustrating and can be a massive time thief.
>>
>> Therefore, assuming an Apache Flex Cookbook in future, my personal
>> suggestion would be to use the initial book to rationalise this and other
>> information on the wiki. Walkthrough examples of how to Mavenise an SDK
>> and
>> configure builds using the latest versions of Flexmojos and Flexunit (the
>> other projects donated to Apache) would also be really powerful.
>>
>> I offer my services towards this project in any capacity and will
>> certainly
>> pre-order if this is helpful to the cause.
>>
>> Keep up the great work everyone.
>>

>> On 23 January 2014 08:38, Arne Broedel <arne.broedel@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Great I love to read this thread and feel the engagement. I would want a
>>> copy just because this community drives it.

> [...]
but
>>> as