flex-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Balderson <n...@joeflash.ca>
Subject Re: how about "cookbook" website for Apache Flex?
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:19:20 GMT
:)

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book

modjklist@comcast.net wrote:
> Thanks Joseph, I read them just now, and, you are my hero! Glad to see some new efforts
underway. Would be nice if there was a path others could provide examples as well... all on
one site (which is specifically designed for this; not the Apache Flex blog which covers many
other things). I'm thinking hundreds and hundreds of examples from simple to more complex.
I spend so much time Googling for current examples scattered around the internet, it's not
productive. Looking forward to whatever results.

, but it seems a lot of the examples are no longer live (what's up with that?), and many are
outdated. I spend most of my development learning about Flex from Google searches that brought
me to peoples' blogs. I bought the Flex Bible, which was great for the basics, but didn't
answer all of those one-off questions like the blogs tackled (because the writers couldn't
find it anywhere else I suppose). Now those blog links are starting to go away, and they're
so hard to find anyway.

>> Why not have a separate section of the Apache Flex website dedicated to examples
that USERS can upload for others to run and view the source code?

>> It would be like http://blog.flexexamples.com, except the content is driven by users
and relevant to life with current SDKs. The critical part of the website would be just to
provide an infrastructure for people to easily contribute their work. It might also include
some search capability or other navigational aid, and a comments section for each example
so discussions can follow. Then the users take over...

>> I just think people learn by doing and if a website can be created with some basic
infrastructure, it can grow organically over time and be a great resource to newcomers. It
would also show that people are actively working and contributing to Flex (I envision future
marketing efforts could say "...over 100 examples were added just this last month..." as a
metric for Flex's growing relevance). The advantage over a published cookbook is that a book
requires a dedicated team with long hours, it becomes outdated with newer SDK releases, covers
a limited number of topics, and it's not interactive. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents for what
I'd like to see from Apache Flex.