flex-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Balderson <n...@joeflash.ca>
Subject Re: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 03:59:45 GMT
Thanks Justin.

One rule of thumb for time involved is 1-2 hours per page for authors -- that's
me -- and 5-10 minutes per page for tech editing -- that's you Justin. Which is
why, if a book goes past 400 pages, you need more than one author, unless you're
David Gassner who can crack off a 1000-page Flex Bible book all by himself (god
only knows how the hell he does it). Given the scope of the book, I'm probably
looking at 6 months to write, with tech editing as it's written, so there's
time. Professional Adobe Flex 3 only had two tech editors, and that was a
1400-page book (in retrospect we probably should have had three, but
whaddyagonnado?) If you find you need help with the tech editing Justin, we'll
cross that bridge when we get to it, but for now consider that post to be filled
by you.

There are three possible classic "animal" books I could do with O'Reilly for
Apache Flex -- one is the "Programming Foo" series, the other is the "Foo
Cookbook" series, and the third are "Developing Fum Applications for Foo"
micro-books. The last book on Flex in the "Programming" series was "Programming
Flex 3" by Chafic Kazoun & Joey Lott, so we're due for an update. There is a
"Flex 4 Cookbook" and some Flex 4.5 micro-books by Rich Tretola back in 2011,
but nothing recent.

I think we'll go with a "Programming Apache Flex" book this time, with an
emphasis on the Spark portion of the framework, and what's been updated since
Adobe Flex 4.6, rather than going over everything, considering the wealth of
information already published on Flex 3 and 4. And also because I don't want to
embark on another monster book project; we'll keep it at around 400 pages, which
would be easier to sell to O'Reilly.

Doing an "Apache Flex Cookbook" would be a nice second book, but as a
collaborative effort, because it would be a bit of a monster to do, considering
that the "Flex 4 Cookbook" weighed in at 740 pages. If O'Reilly gets a good ROI
(i.e. it breaks even ;) on this first book, they might consider doing the
cookbook. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

What I will need people's input on, when the book proposal is approved, are
general ideas, or rather a wish list of "what you'd like to see in the book",
keeping in mind what kind of book this will be.

I'll keep everyone updated as I hear from them.

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book