flex-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Fuqua" <m...@availdata.com>
Subject RE: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 02:17:20 GMT
I'll buy one...would pre orders help?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Balderson [mailto:news@joeflash.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:43 PM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Hi all,

The latest news on the Apache Flex book with O'Reilly is that I'm currently
in negotiations with them to have this book made, i.e. "Programming Apache
Flex" as a continuance of that same series. It's taking some convincing to
be honest, because the perception in the tech publishing industry right now
is that Flash and Flex books are a lost leader, and more or less a dead
ecosystem.

In response I mentioned to them that since Flex is now truly open source
under Apache, that O'Reilly would be seen to be promoting open source
software, which is very much within their mandate. And that, of course, Flex
is not dead; in fact it has every indication of making somewhat of a
comeback, according to the "word on the street," evidenced by a slow trickle
of client work back to Flex, supported by AIR winning an award at the 2013
CES for "Best Consumer Application Development Platform for Mobile" (1,2)

However, I may be able to convince O'Reilly to go ahead with a digital-only
version which would minimize their costs. And if they agree to this, I have
offered to waive any fees or royalties associated with the book on my part,
to be considered "my donation" to the Apache Flex community. If O'Reilly
breaks even or even makes a slight profit (and the profit margins on tech
books are insanely low), then the project will stand a chance of going
forward, and waiving my fees might just be what tips the balance. And of
course I mentioned that, wouldn't it be embarrassing when Flex springs back
in this next year and there are no Flex books with the O'Reilly name on it?
;)

We'll see what happens, if O'Reilly accepts my proposal. I understand how
perception is in part largely responsible for driving sales of tech books.
But stakeholders and students are not the only ones who can drive book
sales: a niche community of developers can also do so.

And so I need your help, everyone in the Flex community. I'll need an
experienced tech editor who is willing to help out with this, to donate
their time to the project. And I will need everyone's help in promoting this
book when it comes out, and to buy one, so that O'Reilly can justify the ROI
to go ahead with the project.

This book will be seen as a huge boon to Apache Flex, to prove to all the
managers and stakeholders drinking the HTML5 koolaid, that Flex isn't dead,
and it is very much alive and well.

Thanks all in advance for your support,

Joseph

(1)
http://www.beedigital.net/2014/01/09/air-wins-award-at-ces-for-the-best-mobi
le-application-product-in-2014/
(2)
http://www.compassintelligence.com/?q=press/compass-intelligence-announces-w
inners-2014-mobility-awards-wireless-m2m-and-green-technology

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book

---