flex-users mailing list archives

From Martin Miko <marrtinm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Frustration with FB 4.7
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 08:07:42 GMT
Hi Mark,

to reiterate on what you and others wrote. Fiddling with java vm might
help, but my best guess would be some strange dependency in your project
structure, maybe some compiler option, or something obscure like that. I
spent countless hours hunting errors like this and afaik increasing memory
will only delay underlying errors.

First of all I would try it on different (simple) project, whether you can
reproduce it or not and try to pin point the failing part. With iterative
approach of starting with basic project and slowly adding up stuff till you
reach your current structure you might be successful. I guess you are
building something complex so it might not be an easy task, but worth a
shot. Since you can spend much more time hunting the bug elsewhere with
little to no success. As an example, we have a couple of air desktop apps
depending on our internal libraries and stuff like that and with wrong
combination of these app projects open we are not able to build anything,
however when we close one it works ok.

You can try to google on fine tuning of JVM's heap space, allocation steps,
GC optimization, etc. To get you an idea of what you are looking for see
these nice docs from IBM [1] plus see the JVM configuration options [2].

Another and I believe more interesting test might be use of alternative JVM
that is much faster. Unfortunately I can't try it myself as I'm developing
mainly on Mac, but as it was mentioned earlier in this mailing list, you
can try JRockit [3].

And of course, if the budget and other limitations allow you to at least
try IntelliJ, I would definitely go for it.

[1]
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Ftprf_tunejvm.html
[2]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.html