flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: blurry fonts
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 21:36:33 GMT
I'm not an expert in this area, but my understanding is that an OTF file can contain TTF or
CFF data.  CFF uses different curvature control points than TTF.   If the data is in TTF format,
the curves have to be converted and there could be fidelity issues.  If the data is already
in CFF format then you should be seeing it as good as it gets.

-Alex
From: modjklist@comcast.net [modjklist@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:11 AM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: blurry fonts

Thanks Alex,

My font source file is .otf

How I embed for MX:

@font-face {
fontFamily:arial_mx;
src:url("Fonts/ArialUnicodeMS_Regular.otf");
unicodeRange: U+0020-007E, U+03A9;
embedAsCFF: false;
fontStyle:normal;
fontWeight:normal;
}

How I embed for Spark:

@font-face {
fontFamily:arial_s;
src:url("Fonts/ArialUnicodeMS_Regular.otf");
unicodeRange: U+0020-007E;
embedAsCFF: true;
fontWeight:normal;
fontStyle:normal;
}

Doesn't the "embedAsCFF:true;" line above implement the glyph conversion requirement that
you're referring to?

Or, are you saying I need to use a source file having a .cff extension instead of .otf (or
.ttf)?
All the documentation I've seen just says to set the embedAsCFF switch as above. For example:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f5f.html

Let me know if I'm missing something.