flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: any techniques to spread drawing of screen over several frames?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:20:11 GMT
I still haven't used Scout.  I have used the FB Profiler so I'm just more
used to it.  Probably time for me to try Scout.  Anyway, the first thing I
would check is the call counts.  I heard you may not be able to get that
from Scout so you may need to use FB.

Try to get the call count for LayoutManager.doPhasedInstantiation for that
frame  It should be a small number like 3 or 4.  If it is higher, then
there is extra invalidation going on that, if you can eliminate it (and
you can't always) could drastically affect the execution time of that
frame.

A new navigator view should switch the LayoutManager to phased
instantiation mode and spread the validation across multiple frames so
mouse cursor doesn't stick.

Also make sure you are not using creationPolicy="all" in any navigators.
That is always a performance killer.

Only instantiate components that are visible.  Postpone instantiation of
components that aren't.

You can use various tricks like changing states to incrementally add more
components to the screen.

You can use modules to load whole sections of UI "later".

-Alex