flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Tracing in non debugging players
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:47:09 GMT

On 10/22/13 9:34 AM, "mark goldin" <markzolotoy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, users will email me a file. It seems simpler then have them
>installing
>additional software.
If you go with the AIR helper app, they have to install that and make sure
it is running.

>But when you say remote server what exactly do you
>mean? If they are running on the internal network how would I communicate
>with the remote server?
I don't know how many users you have and how often you'll collect data,
but it seems like you'll spend a fair amount of timing parsing emails to
get a file to get the data.  If you can get a php or similar task running
on a server, you can have your app send data to that server by making an
HTTP request with the needed data.  Then there is no extra step required
of the user.

If you don't mind making users send email, another option is to have a
button that uses NavigateToURL with mailto: and the data.  Then the user
just has to hit send.  If you need to store data between runs you can
store it in a local SharedObject.