flex-users mailing list archives

From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Usage of Adobe Scout
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:32:13 GMT
Hi Marcus,

well I used the little Air app to enable the advanced telemetry for my SWFs and it seems that
they are now sending data to Scout. I am sort of currently struggling to find out how to actually
use Scout to track down the problem as this tool really seems to work differently than Java
Profilers such as JProfiler for example. But I think I found out some more cause after enabling
the "CPU Usage" I am now actually getting some more information that is helping me.

But to understand you right: In a multi-module application you need to enable every single
SWF?

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Marcus Wilkinson [mailto:wilkinsonmarcus@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2013 12:25
An: users@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Hey Chris,

We use Scout here and in my opinion it's possibly the best thing to come out of adobe since
Director :). In order to get the most out of it for your application you need to enable telemetry
on each running swf. This method is not recommended, but it works for us:
- Build our AIR application as normal (which includes runtime-loaded swf modules). This can
be in release mode to give better representation of bottlenecks
- Install the AIR app as normal
- Run this python script on each .swf (I use python 2.7 and no
dependencies):
https://github.com/adamcath/telemetry-utils/blob/master/add-opt-in.py

To run the script, i made another little script which looks for swfs in a specified path and
runs the script from there. Both the following and the add-opt-in.py need to be in the same
place (in my case C:\Python27\Scripts)

#script start
import inspect, os, subprocess

base_path = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\InstalledApp\\"

current_path =
os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(inspect.getfile(inspect.currentframe())))
script_path = current_path + "\\add-opt-in.py"
print(script_path)
print "Base path set to "+base_path

for dirname, dirnames, filenames in os.walk(base_path):
 for filename in filenames:
filename_parts = os.path.splitext(filename) if filename_parts[len(filename_parts)-1].lower()
 swf_path = os.path.join(dirname, filename) print "Processing "+swf_path subprocess.call(["python",
script_path,swf_path]) #script end

I think I remember reading somewhere that Apache flex mxmlc now includes telemetry options
out of the box, but I haven't played with it yet.

Hope this helps
Marcus