flex-users mailing list archives

From modjkl...@comcast.net
Subject Re: newbie on profiling with Scout, Flex, and FP non-debugger and debugger versions
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 01:18:45 GMT
Thanks so much Lee

----- Original Message -----

To: users@flex.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:06:24 PM
Subject: Re: newbie on profiling with Scout, Flex, and FP non-debugger and debugger versions

this is the link to bookmark:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#Flash
Player archives
<http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#Flash%20Player%20archives>

- each zip contains standard and debug versions for both browser types
(plus standalone version)

On 23/10/2013 02:00, modjklist@comcast.net wrote:
> OK, I think I figured some stuff out... Flash Player can't be switched between debug
and non-debug in Safari and Firefox (without an extension at least). You need to uninstall
the current version before installing a different version.

> Seems only Chrome allows easy switching between debug and non-debug, but you're restricted
to using the latest version.

> The non-debug version is available here:
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>
> The website auto-detects your system and the file you download is the latest one appropriate
for you. The confusing thing is that it doesn't state that it's the non-debug version, or
where to go for the debug version.

> Alternatively, the debug version is available here:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
>
> but there's no link stating where to go for the non-debug version. However, clicking
on "Get the latest version" brings you to the first link above, which is for the non-debug
version.

looking at this correctly, are only for debugger and projector versions. Where is the non-debugger
version that 99% of users (e.g. not developers) use?

> I know Chrome ships with it, but I don't think the others do. If I have version Flash
Player 11.9.900.117 installed on my system, does it include both debugger and non-debugger?
If so, how to activate one versus the other (e.g. on Firefox or Safari)?

versions installed in Chrome, although you can't tell by the label -- they both reference
11.9.900.117, so perhaps there's one install for both debugger and non-debugger versions?
(no idea)

>> When I followed Adobe's standard install for the debugger, it appears to have installed
on all browsers in my system.

(a lot of math is computed within a frame and causes the system to display a spinning wheel
while the CPU catches up, lasting about 5 seconds). I want to try placing some callLater()
functions to break up the one long frame into several smaller frames, to make the app more
smoothly transition from one state to the next.

>>> I'd like to use Scout to time the execution of various functions to figure out
where to place callLater(). So far, all my development has been on the debugger version of
Flash Player 11.9.900.117 (the current version).

>>> Some newbie questions:
>>>
>>> 1. My understanding in reading about Scout is that the debugger version is only
required for memory profiling. Thus, I can use the non-debugger version to get accurate timing
information using the techniques discussed here:

>>> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/scout/articles/adobe-scout-custom-telemetry.html

>>> (e.g. trace(), Telemetry.sendMetric(), and Telemetry.sendSpanMetric)
>>>
>>> Is that correct?
>>>
>>> 2. What's the best way to switch between debugger and non-debugger flash player
versions? Do I need to uninstall the debugger first, then install the non-debugger version?
Then if I want to go back to the non-debugger version, do I need to uninstall the non-debugger
version, and then install the debugger version?

>>> Or, is there really only one install needed, and then somehow in the browser
select a switch that turns the debugger on/off?

>>> I'm really confused on this because when I right-click on my running app, it
shows I'm using 11.9.900,117, although it doesn't say debugger or not. If I go to this website:

>>> http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
>>>
>>> it does indeed show "Debug Player: Yes". However, when I search google to install
non-debugger Flash Player, it brings me to

>>> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>>>
>>> which says it will install version 11.9.900.117 -- which is what I already have
installed, right !? So, there must be something I'm missing. How do I install the non-debugger
Flash Player?

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter