flex-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Line" <markl...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Usage of Adobe Scout
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:32:52 GMT
Have you drilled down fully to see the last item which is taking up the high
percentage? Perhaps telemetry isn't working correctly?

I use the python script as well.

Here is a screen shot of what I expect you should see:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9000077/scoutexample.png

PS adobe scout is free, you can keep using after the 30 day trail of
creative cloud, the other things you may have install won't work though

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus Wilkinson [mailto:wilkinsonmarcus@gmail.com]
Sent: 02 October 2013 11:25
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Usage of Adobe Scout

Hey Chris,

We use Scout here and in my opinion it's possibly the best thing to come out
of adobe since Director :). In order to get the most out of it for your
application you need to enable telemetry on each running swf. This method is
not recommended, but it works for us:
- Build our AIR application as normal (which includes runtime-loaded swf
modules). This can be in release mode to give better representation of
bottlenecks
- Install the AIR app as normal
- Run this python script on each .swf (I use python 2.7 and no
dependencies):
https://github.com/adamcath/telemetry-utils/blob/master/add-opt-in.py

To run the script, i made another little script which looks for swfs in a
specified path and runs the script from there. Both the following and the
add-opt-in.py need to be in the same place (in my case C:\Python27\Scripts)

#script start
import inspect, os, subprocess

base_path = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\InstalledApp\\"

current_path =
os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(inspect.getfile(inspect.currentframe())))
script_path = current_path + "\\add-opt-in.py"
print(script_path)
print "Base path set to "+base_path

for dirname, dirnames, filenames in os.walk(base_path):
 for filename in filenames:
filename_parts = os.path.splitext(filename) if
filename_parts[len(filename_parts)-1].lower() == ".swf":
 swf_path = os.path.join(dirname, filename) print "Processing "+swf_path
subprocess.call(["python", script_path,swf_path]) #script end

I think I remember reading somewhere that Apache flex mxmlc now includes
telemetry options out of the box, but I haven't played with it yet.

Hope this helps
Marcus