flex-users mailing list archives

From Cortlandt Winters <c...@cortwinters.net>
Subject Re: Preferred way of connecting to MySql
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:09:38 GMT
I'd look into using weborb <http://www.themidnightcoders.com/> for
something like this.

It's great glueware

In particular my first thought would be to
1) export your sqllite database as a schema for mysql,
2) then use their wizard to create a mysql database
3) they will generate and deploy both the server side code, which can be
java, .NET, PHP or rails, whichever you like, and generate the actionscript
to access the new services. I can only vouch for the java server side piece
personally, but it was a brilliant piece of work with a great interface.
You really don't even need to know java in order to create a nice backend
with it, but if you do you can add your own or other java services to it
easily as well. They will even generate a flex example app to show you the
syntax to use for the service.
4) then you need to copy and paste their generated code into your app and
reglue your calls from sqllite to use the service
5) and finally, if you need to maintain the data, have your flex app read
the sqllite database data and seed the new mysql database from the old data
via the new calls.

In fact if  you want to transition to an html client some day in the
future. I believe they have an AMF bridge for javascript, so you can still
get the awesome performance of AMF that Peter is referring to.

It's not free, but they have very reasonable licensing and offer an amazon
cloud service.

Good luck with the transition.