flex-users mailing list archives

From Yariv Gilad <yariv.gi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Maps API for flex
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:05:16 GMT
Hi Lionel
did you happen to need and succeed to set MapQuest Tiles to use English for
street labels on all countries?
I spent hours trying to dig this functionality (set the language) with no
luck. their maps default is displaying street labels in the native language
of the country they present, which is useless for tourists from other
countries looking at your maps.
I need to find a map provider with the ability to switch maps to display at
least english street labels, if not more languages...

meanwhile, to those of you that were keen to read till here, let me share
another streight forward alternative which I found on this quest -
http://modestmaps.com/, if you scroll down, you'll find an as3 port among
others. the nice thing about them is that they serve as a (free,
open-source) tile engine, which means that once you created a dependency,
coding with their library, you are still free to switch tile providers like
Microsoft, Yahoo, MapBox (the prettiest alternative out there...) and still
keep the same API calls. how cool is that?

cheers
:)