flex-users mailing list archives

From Doug McCune <d...@dougmccune.com>
Subject Re: Google Maps API for flex
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:13:35 GMT
Yariv,

I highly recommend the combo of ModestMaps AS3 and MapBox, which you've
discovered. From my tests, MapBox's satellite coverage is better than
MapQuest's. It's not as good as Google's (nobody is), but it's good in
Europe/USA, has the best licensing of all of them, and lets you use any map
component to display the tiles. Unlike most other companies, MapBox is
actually in the business of selling you usage of map tiles.

If you need better imagery and can afford an enterprise license (and the
time sink of negotiating that), I'd recommend Bing maps. They will also let
you use ModestMaps if you pay them. That's what we do for our customers, we
offer MapBox maps as our base offering, and then have a premium Bing option
for customers who need better satellite imagery.