flex-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Ward-Karet <...@tanium.com>
Subject Automatically register class aliases
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 19:30:28 GMT
I'm trying to figure out how to automatically register class aliases for all our value objects.
Let me explain:

We use Flash Builder's WSDL Data Service utility to generate ActionScript value objects and
the supporting service classes.

We've found that the web service code that deserializes XML back into value objects is incredibly
slow and locks up our UI at various times. To get around this, we are playing with putting
the web service into an action script worker that shares the value object class definitions
with our main project.

To make this work, we need to call registerClassAlias('valueObject.modelClass', modelClass)
for every class that we want to pass back and forth between the worker and host.

This seems to work well enough, put from a code maintenance point of view, it's a pain because
we have many classes that need to cross this boundary. I don't want to have to remember to
every time we regenerate classes based on the WSDL (which changes frequently). I'm also hesitant
to manually add a class registration to the value object classes because I'm sure there will
be times we will forget to do it for new value objects.

Any suggestions how we can automate this process?

And please, we are not able to make major architectural changes, so answers that tell me about
BlazeDS or switching to JSON, etc are not useful.

Thanks!
Jesse