flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: non-blocking preloading animation?
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:58:11 GMT

On 7/26/13 12:31 PM, "Ajar" <ajar.interactive@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>I have a big flex web project
>It takes a while to load.... its around 3M for the main app swf and 80K
>for
>additional 4 modules that loads afterwords
>The loading weight is not bothering me, as we have this tiny animation
>with
>gags for the user to go through, it's not terrible.
>What bothers me is that once the app swf loads, everything chokes and
>freeze, until the app initializes itself.
>So I can't go the "perceived performance" way really because whatever I
>put
>there freezes and chokes for good 30 seconds...
>I even tried putting the preloader animation in a separate light-weight
>flash swf and have it in a separate div on the html on top at the center
>of
>the page.
>it behaves just the same. it doesn't matter if its in a different swf, it
>chokes just the same...
>Does workers relevant for this kind of scenario?
>Is there anything that comes to mind I could do beside re-writing the
>application?
Well, it depends on what you mean by 're-write'.  Use the profiler to see
where all of the time is going.  Some of those application frameworks
being discussed in the other thread can contribute to the problem by doing
their injections on creationComplete.

Another app I analyzed was using creationPolicy=all everywhere.  Sure, it
makes your code easier to write, but then that's the price you pay.  Think
"on-demand" and "just-in-time", not "just-in-case".