flex-users mailing list archives

From Mark Line <markl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: non-blocking preloading animation?
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:53:59 GMT
I've only currently used workers in 2 places although i must say they do
help a lot.

One is a simple rolling log file manager, where it logs info to a file and
zips up old files etc.

The other is loading a compressed dictionary file and parsing its contains
for a spell checking (this is quite complexed as it matches rules to build
full words, i'm parsing a hunspell dictionary).

I did originally write the dictionary parser to be "friendly" and only
process x amount of data per frame using loops to try and not block the ui,
but since fp 11.5 i've been using it as a worker and its so much faster

If you can target fp 11.5 or above i would highly recommend workers

I love adobe scout its so helpful trying performance. Although the Flash
builder profiler is still great, i find that much more useful for trying to
find memory leaks