flex-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Raddle <dennis.rad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: organization into directories and packages
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:57:40 GMT
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM, OmPrakash Muppirala
<bigosmallm@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I don't want to use an IDE because frankly I am comfortable with Emacs
> and
> > this project isn't large enough to justify learning a new editor
> especially
> > one that is mouse intensive (I prefer using mostly keyboard commands, and
> > no, "emacs mode" of Eclipse is nothing like the real Emacs).
> >

> Vim is better.  Just trolling ;-)

I agree, Vim is better for editing from keystrokes and no mouse usage (and
fewer keystrokes). However what Vim doesn't have, and Emacs does, is
frames. Those are completely separate windows that can be brought to the
foreground or lowered as needed. I wrote a lot of elisp that lets me raise
and lower frames and move them around entirely by keystrokes. I can raise a
cmd.exe window in place of a frame to look at output, by keystroke, which
other frames remain visible. I can switch between configurations by
keystroke. I've been using and extending my system for years. Elisp is very
powerful and fun to use. I just don't have the motivation to change now.
I'm not a professional programmer any more.. this is a hobby. If I ever get
another programming job then I'm sure I'll need to learn Eclipse or another
IDE.

I'll tell you what I can't stand about Eclipse (Flash Builder). All those
pop-ups that obscure my code. It drives me crazy. I don't always need to
see the docs every single freakin time I type something. And the behavior
of code completion is very complicated and somewhat unpredictable. Emacs
has an alternative called dynamic abbreviation completion which is a lot
simpler. KISS principle. Simpler, more predictable, less fussy, and no
annoying popups, fewer keystrokes.

Dennis