flex-users mailing list archives

From Arvind Dievs Software <arv...@dievssoftware.com>
Subject Re: With ref to- Creation of mobile/tablet apps in Flex projects
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:35:42 GMT
HI Ajar

You must remember that feathersui- as the name says-- is for UI components.

Whereas for business//enterprise apps Flex has everything needed (you can create skins for
flex apps and they look pretty nice- atleast for business / enterprise apps→ again games
etc require a different level of graphics/ visual layout so that use case is covered well
by FeathersUI  + Starling framework.

If you look at the activity of Apache Flex- adoption of flex has only increased after Adobe
licensed out Flex to the Apache foundation. Many people would say that had Macromedia been
in charge of Flex (and not been taken over by Adobe)→ they would never have given up Flex
(like Adobe has done).... The level of maturity of Flex, the kind of support/documentation/books/tutorials
it has are simply incomparable. I worked with JavaScript for some time before I turned to
Flex (as it turns out I brought a Flash Builder license a few months before Adobe open sourced
Flex- again something I find difficult to believe). And I am simply shocked as to why there
is such hype surrounding Js based mobile apps-- its a real pain to create an app of any complexity
in JavaScript.

I think maybe that's because Flash is Adobe’s proprietary tech→ so all the other biggies
are shutting Adobe out by adopting JavaScript?

I think I digressed a bit from your question- just thought I would let you know how I feel
about Flex when compared with JS(in addition to your question about feathersui) :)

Yours sincerely,
Arvind,
Dievs Software.