flex-users mailing list archives

From modjkl...@comcast.net
Subject LineSeriesItem observation -- is this normal?
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 14:18:04 GMT
My app (SDK 4.5.1) creates various dynamic LineSeries for a chart. Each chart has several LineSeries
showing.

Using Flash Builder's debugger, and looking in the Live Objects tab, in the Class column,
the first time the chart renders, I observe this is no row (e.g. entry) for LineSeriesItem.
The app does display the various line series in the chart fine. This first chart shows 3000
points total.

Is this normal?

Then, I dynamically change line series and plot a second chart. Again, the chart displays
the data nicely, showing 8000 points total. However, when I look in FB's debugger in Live
Objects tab as before, I notice there is a row showing for LineSeriesItem, and it contains
3000 instances, which corresponds to the first chart's total number of data points.

Is this normal?

Then I dynamically change line series to replot the first chart data, which displays fine.
But now the debugger shows 110000 instances, which corresponds to the second chart's 8000
points (which are no longer showing in the chart) plus the first chart's 3000 points.

Is this normal?

I can toggle between these two charts and the total number of instances remains the same.

If I again dynamically change line series to use a new set of data, let's say the new chart
shows X number of points, then the LineSeriesItem instances equals X plus the previous chart's
number of instances (e.g. data points).

Is this normal?

If I take a Memory Snapshot with "Generate object allocation stack traces" selected when configuring
the profiler, then double-click on the LineSeriesItem row to open the Object References tab,
I can expand each of the LineSeriesItem instances, and for each I observe a "YES" entered
in the column for GC Root. I'm not sure what this means, but does it indicate a memory leak?
Is this normal?

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out whether I have a problem given the above observations.
If so, any idea how to fix?